Monday, May 25, 2009

Racing, Pacing and Training Again

Ah yes, the good weather is back and my running buddy Oliver and I returned to our trail running again. They changed our regular route and replaced it with somewhat of an obstacle course. It runs slower but really makes your pick up your feet - something I've got to improve on before June 13. It's time to get serious about starting my pre-race warmup. Intervals are probably on the menu. Speaking of racing, pacing, intervals and race tactics - here's a clip of the true master. Notice how Lasse Viren (double Olympic gold medalist in this event) keeps looking back - even he feared the master.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrZpT-LXO-8

4 comments:

  1. Yeah he's pretty fast I guess but not quite as fast as this guy:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a70-fDFrZic&feature=related

    ReplyDelete
  2. And, of course: http://tinyurl.com/ryhwsr

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rick,
    Thought you might want to know that your former good friend, Herb "I can hardly even finish a 5K" Kimpel, just ran a 23:10 at Lake Elsinore. I couldn't understand why he wasn't publishing his finish time so went to the race results. Do you think my expose will win me a Pulitzer in investigative journalism? I strongly encourage you to hit the track and do some speedwork.
    Your Friend,
    The Running Coach Doctor

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the references - I couldn't get the videos to play so I guess I'll just use my imagination. As for the speedwork, I've just done some today. Unfortunately as I was doing my second to last interval, I managed to get a "ding" in my calf. I managed it relatively well and it seems like it may be OK - I'll give you a report in a day or so.

    ReplyDelete