Saturday, May 23, 2009

New Brighton 5KM Road Race

Wow, what a week we've had. Gale force winds, rain and of course temperatures hovering just above freezing. Needless to say, it wasn't a good training week for me. In fact, I spent most of the time polishing the seat of my pants in one way or another. So you could say my expectations for todays run were somewhat diminished. The weather was so nasty that when I got up this morning I said no f&*#in' way! Then I remembered that Herb was interested in the sasquatch logo for the New Brighton running club, so I thought I'd at least see about finding a T-shirt. Heck, as long as I'm making the trip I might as well suit up just in case. I arrived early to find the club diligently placing cones and there we a couple of ladies huddling inside the clubhouse shed with registration materials. Ah well, as long as I'm here I might as well get a number, right? They handed me a hand written number to pin on my shirt - no high tech here. OK, lets see how I feel after a sedentary week. I bundled up as best I could and jogged slowly around the course (3 laps around the domain =5K). Pretty pathetic, worse than I thought. Can I even go one lap without walking? A second lap then a third and I felt somewhat better - just rusty. Now for the hard part - getting nearly naked in this horrific weather. Long sleeves, short pants and I was ready to go. I had more than a few good reasons to expect catastrophe, so I was pleasantly surprised to complete the thing in 25:20 - damn, a significant improvement from last weekends 10K. Maybe I'll get back to work before it's too late. I need to be ready for Mr. Speedyman.

1 comment:

  1. That's almost what I ran last week - and I'VE actually been running! If the weather cooperates, you can still get in a couple of weeks of training. LOTS of long runs would really help build your endurance. Lift weights, too.

    ReplyDelete